Tuesday, January 08, 2008

This Baby Better Not Have Any Wrinkles


Last week, I was going through the latest "blind items" on the Internet and came across this one from the New York Post on January 2nd: Which 40ish actress has finally gotten pregnant for the first time? Her rep is denying it because she's only a month into it, and has suffered miscarriages in the past. Said our source: "Watch for her to get bangs and start wearing hats to hide her sagging face because you can't be on Botox when you are pregnant."

The consensus was that this must be Nicole Kidman, and sure enough, yesterday her rep confirmed Nicole's pregnancy to People magazine. I couldn't get past the fact that her rep said, "The couple are thrilled." Shouldn't it be "the couple is thrilled?" I think this may be some strange Aussie twist to the English language. I've noticed that sometimes the British will treat a band name as plural, saying something like "Radiohead are touring," whereas I would've thought it should be, "Radiohead is touring." And before you Brits out there jump all over me about how the Americans have ruined your language... I am not trying to pick a fight! But I am curious to know if anyone knows the background of the is/are discrepancy between Americans and British/Australians.

But back to the main subject of this post... Nicole Kidman is pregnant, and although I do not like her movies and her forehead scares the living bejeezus out of me and I think her husband looks like a girl, I wish her the best. If she has had miscarriages in the past it seems odd that they would be officially confirming her pregnancy this early, but perhaps if the effects of no Botox are going to be that hideous, they want to warn the public? It will be interesting to see if she goes into hiding or not.

- e

No comments: