Friday, July 13, 2007

In a Garden State of Mind


In a few hours I am off to New Jersey to visit family, so I will not be putting up any posts this weekend. Two big events coming up next week, however, that I will most definitely write about are of course the final Harry Potter book being released, as well as an event I'm attending that features the author of The Time Traveler's Wife, one of my favorite books of all time. If you haven't read it, go get it right now!

I'm a tad concerned with getting in to the Garden State on time tonight as there are major thunderstorms predicted for that area. Last year I went on this same weekend, and didn't end up landing until the wee hours of the morning. So - wish me luck! At least it's not LaGuardia that I'm flying in to this time.

I will leave you with a few other comments from my night at the movies Wednesday night - none of which have to do with the Harry Potter movie itself, so don't worry about spoilers:

- I waiting in line for an hour and fifteen minutes beforehand this time around. Usually I am near the beginning of the line, but this time I was running late so I was probably at the mid-point. Unfortunately we were in a pretty small theater, but it was one of the ones that was all digital (rather than using a film reel), so I dealt with it. There were no major freaks dressed up, but I did see one woman with a witch's hat, and three teenage girls who I think were trying to dress like a naughty version of Hermione. They had on mary jane shoes, knee-high socks, short plaid skirts, white long-sleeve buttondowns and ties wrapped around their heads like headbands.
- The people sitting behind me in the movie were VERY annoying! The kind of people who talk really loudly because they think they are smart and figure that everyone else would be impressed by them as well. One of the women kept asking everyone in her very large group if they were watching the "World Series of Pop Culture," and no one was. Which upset her very much, because, as she repeated about 1,000 times: "Oh, it's really great, you should watch it!" I started wondering if she was being paid by VH1 to use guerrila marketing tactics to promote the show - that's how ridiculous she was.
- Two guys walked across the front of the theater, both dressed in light-colored blazers. They were joining the obnoxious group behind me, who of course had to call more attention to themselves by shouting out, "You guys are in matching blazers - how very Hogwarts-esque of you!!!!" When the guys sat down, they proceeded to loudly explain that they had been circling the block a few streets down over and over because they thought the show was at McClurg Court. For those of you not in Chicago, McClurg Court closed down years and years ago. Now I was starting to realize that these people apparently didn't get out too much, so perhaps the reason why they were screaming at each other was because they were excited to be out in society again.

I have very little tolerance for people in general, as you may have noticed if you've been reading my stuff for a while. I sat there for quite a while trying to think of some witty yet pointed comment to turn around and say to all of them to perhaps clue them in to the fact that no, in fact, they are NOT brilliant and the rest of the theater would appreciate it if they shut up in the remaining minutes before the show (part of my annoyance came from the fact that we were all in the theater 50 minutes before the show started). But, I was distracted by Junior Mints, Raisinets and popcorn when my husband arrived. There's nothing like a popcorn-butter induced food coma to kill your desire to tell people off. Luckily for me (and for them), the group was quiet once the show began. I think the "World Series of Pop Culture" fangirl was threatened a bit by me when I started clapping at the trailer for The Golden Compass because she didn't know what it was. Although one of her friends exclaimed, "Nicole Kidman scares the bejeezus out of me!"

Finally, something we agreed on!

- e

1 comment:

Wanders said...

I admit to probably annoying some people before Harry Potter started on Saturday night. But I was pissed off because everyone was enjoying themselves, interacting with their dates and friends, and then the digital commercials started and everyone shut up. But I kept talking with my wife and I suddendly felt like I was being too loud. "Oh, be quiet, I'm trying to watch a commercial." Please give me a break. Ignore the commercials. Talk through the commercials. Talk OVER the commercials. Kill the commericals!! I hate going to the movies because of all the stupid people, but I hate the commercials even more.