Friday, July 21, 2006

BERZERKER!!!!

The time has come, my friends, for a much anticipated movie: Clerks 2. Twelve years ago when the low-budget, black-and-white "Clerks" came out, it immediately gained a cult-like following, and I was one of the cult members. You ever notice that all the prices end in nine? Damn, that's eerie.Anyone who has ever worked in any type of service industry could relate to Dante (who wasn't even supposed to BE there that day!) and Randal ("This job would be great if it wasn't for the *&^#ing customers."). Especially my friend Nerdy P, who used to work at a convenience store much like the one in "Clerks," and witnessed people obsessing over milk carton expiration dates (hey, *I* do that!), trying to find the perfect dozen eggs and asking stupid questions.

Her experience was even more exciting because the inconspicuous Dry Cleaners next door was busted one day by the police for fronting a prostitution ring?!?! In Nerdy P's words, "There were always really strange people coming in and out of that place..."

So this weekend, I travel back to Michigan to see Clerks 2 with Nerdy P. I cannot believe it's been 12 years, and I have a feeling that is going to be one of the main themes of the movie. What happened to the slacker clerks we so loved back in the day? What roads have they taken in life now that they're in their mid-30s? Somehow I think they haven't progressed TOO far...

If you haven't seen a trailer yet, you can pick one of many here.

The movie is getting good reviews, so my hopes are creeping dangerously higher. I will surely let you know how it was.

We were also going to see "Lady in the Water" by M. Night, but that is getting HORRIBLE reviews, so we may have to ponder that decision.

I will definitely cover a Pet Peeve of the Week on Friday next week -I was just too swamped this week to post much and didn't want to come back to you all complaining for the first new post in a few days.

Have a good weekend,
- e

No comments: